Yesterday I made apple pie, with homemade crust. It was my first time ever making pie crust or doing a lattice top. I used this recipe. I'll definitely use it again. I don't have a food processor, so I had to use a pastry blender.
It definitely wasn't the prettiest, but it was delicious. The pie filling recipe was the best I'd ever used.
· 1/2 cup unsalted butter
· 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 1/4 cup water – 1 tsp
· 1/2 cup white sugar
· 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
· 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
· 1 tsp cinnamon
· dash of nutmeg
· 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a
saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar,
cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce
temperature and let simmer.
2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Use egg whites to brush bottom.
Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Gently pour the sugar and butter
liquid over apples. Pour slowly so that it does not run off. Cover
with a lattice work of crust. Brush with leftover sauce.
3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to
350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes,
until apples are soft.
please excuse the ugliest pie dish ever™.
My lattice top was very sad, I haven't really figured out how to do it yet, I'm going to make some more dough soon and just practice.
not gonna lie, i had a piece for breakfast. hahahha.